Sunday, December 9, 2012

Breakfast yumminess!

I'm always trying to find new things to cook or bake, even if it's for breakfast.  Mike's palette is usually pretty simple, so I never like to drift too far out of his comfort zone, but I get sick of bowl after bowl of cereal or bacon and eggs (don't get me wrong though, bacon is one of life's gifts).  

So I was browsing Pinterest, an activity I do just about once or twice a day, and found a recipe for a grilled cheese sandwich for breakfast.  I was won over by one ingredient: cream cheese.  I believe that cream cheese makes everything better and whatever it is added to becomes something with much more depth and complexity.  

That all being said, this sandwich had five ingredients, bread (I prefer wheat to make myself believe I'm being healthier), cream cheese, confectioners sugar, blueberries, and butter.  That's it.  And it's a grilled cheese sandwich.  What person out there doesn't remember loving grilled cheese sandwiches when we were kids??!

I made one for myself one day and a few days later made a couple for Mike and I before I went to work.  He's not the biggest blue berry fan so I put raspberries in his as well.  In the end, he didn't jump up and down as I did when I first tried them, but I think he liked it so I count it as a win!!


I don't have actual measurements because it was really all by taste.  

Ingredients:
Bread
Confectioners Sugar
Cream Cheese
Blueberries
Butter or Margarine

Start with enough bread for as many sandwiches you are making.  In a small bowl mix enough cream cheese to generously spread on each slice of bread, with confectioners sugar.  I didn't want mine to be overwhelmingly sweet, so I added a bit of the sugar, mixed it, tasted it, and added a bit more to taste.  Butter one slice of bread and lay it in the pan.  Spread some of the cream cheese mixture on that slice of bread.  On the bread outside of the pan spread more of the cream cheese mixture (be sure not to butter that slice of bread yet as you'll need to hold onto the bread while spreading the cream cheese mixture.)  Sprinkle blueberries onto the bread in the pan (I put one layer, generously covering the slice of bread), and then top with the other piece of bread, cream cheese mix side down.  Now spread the top slice of bread with butter.  Grill to your preferred done-ness and enjoy!  

I couldn't wait to eat the sandwich and therefore forgot to take a picture!  So this picture is from the post I originally saw on Pinterest!


What I love about this sandwich is that you can add whatever ingredients you want, however much you want!

0 comments:

Post a Comment